Note: MAWC does not fluoridate the water supplied from our water treatment plants. The Ligonier supply from Greater Johnstown Water Authority will stop fluoridation in 2018.
Since there is much debate over the fluoridation of drinking water, MAWC has included links to several websites on the MAWC web page to allow our customers to more fully research the information available on this issue including home treatment units to remove fluoride from the water. MAWC believes that the fluoride issue is a health care matter that should be decided by regulating bodies such as the EPA and the PADEP.
The American Dental Association (ADA) has endorsed fluoridation of community water supplies as safe and effective for preventing tooth decay. Children who drink optimally fluoridated water on a regular basis do not need to take fluoride dietary supplements.
- Basic Information about Fluoride in Drinking Water-EPA
- Community Water Fluoridation-CDC
- Fluoridation Facts-ADA
- How to Remove Fluoride from Household Water and Decrease Fluoride Ingestion
- Fluoride in Drinking Water:A Review of Fluoridation and Regulation Issues
- Fluoride Action Network
Letters to Customers concerning the Ligonier System change to Greater Johnstown Water Authority water.
- Fluoride Letter #1 - October 2012
- Fluoride Letter #2 - November 2012
- Flushing Notice - December 10, 2012
- Flushing Notice - February 8, 2013