What is a typical water emergency?

    • A water main leak causing flooding/damage or icy conditions in the winter.
    • A service line leak outside of the home causing flooding/damage or icy conditions in the winter.
    • A leak inside the home causing flooding/damage and the inside valve is inoperable.

    What is a typical wastewater emergency?

    • A basement back up of wastewater.
    • A manhole or clean out that is overflowing.



      (724) 755-5800

      24 hours a day / 7 days a week



      Project - Slate Run Road Area Sanitary Sewer Extension

      There are pockets of homes in the Slate Run area that are not served by public sewers.  The project area consists of Nessler Lane, Crissinger Drive, White Tail Lane, a portion of Old Route 30 and a portion of Slate Run Road.

      The project will provide sanitary sewer service to approximately 51 residential homes. 

      The project was bid and awarded to Pollard Land Services, Inc., from Girard, PA in the amount of $849,445.

      Work is expected to start in May of 2018 and be completed by the Fall of 2018.






      The Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County



      1. Why do I need sewage?

      The Slate Run area has a large rate of malfunctioning on-lot systems. There are some properties that are served by the Public sewage system, while others are not. The Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County (MAWC) is attempting to fill in these "holes in the donut". All properties which can access the Public sewer system will be connected as part of the construction, whether or not they have an existing malfunctioning system.  Any structure located within 150 ft. of a sanitary sewer line is mandated to connect due to a Hempfield Township ordinance.


      2. When will construction start?

      It is expected that the construction will take place in early 2018. The construction will take approximately six (6) months, once commenced.


      3. Will I be notified prior to the start of construction?

      A. Formal notification will be given.  Since the contractor will be placing construction markers in the field prior to construction, it will become obvious to you when construction is imminent.

      B. It is anticipated that a public meeting will be held in late 2017 – early 2018 when more accurate time frames and scheduling information is available.


      4. What if I have special problems such as a well, an existing septic tank, underground utilities, etc. which are in the area to be disturbed by construction?

      Bring any special concerns to the attention of the MAWC Project Inspector, immediately. From your knowledge of your own property, if you know of any impact hidden obstructions, these are matters which need to be considered immediately. In most instances, the sewer line can be adjusted to avoid impediments to the satisfaction of the property owner.  If you know of any hidden or buries obstructions on or coming from your property, we will need this information as soon as possible to be considered prior to construction.


      5. Will the contractor restore any property damage?

      The contractor is committed to restore the property to the same condition it was in prior to construction. For this reason, the contractor desires to do as little damage to the property as possible.  Obviously, if construction requires the contractor to remove large trees, etc., then the same cannot be restored, and this will be considered in the compensation to which the property owner is entitled as set forth hereafter.


      6. Who is responsible if the contractor goes beyond the required right of way lines?

      Under its contract with the MAWC, the contractor is not permitted to (i) accomplish any construction work or (ii) park any equipment outside of the designated right of way lines. Legally, if the contractor accomplishes work beyond the right of way lines, then the contractor is liable. On occasion, the contractor will enter into private agreements with property owners in this regard. Enforcement of these private or side agreements is completely the responsibility of the property owner. For this reason, if you feel that the contractor is beyond the right of way line or is taking advantage of you by parking equipment on your property (beyond the established right of way), call this matter to the attention of the Project Inspector immediately. The Project Inspector has the power to direct the contractor to comply with its contractual agreements which includes staying within the established right of way.


      7. What are my responsibilities resulting from the sewer line project?

      After the Authority has completed its construction activities, a property owner has three (3) responsibilities:

      1) Pay a Tap-in Fee

      2) Connect his or her property to the public sewer

      3) Pay a monthly sewer bill

      These responsibilities are discussed/defined in the next questions.


      8. Will my property be subject to a Tap-in Fee?

      Yes. The current fee in effect for MAWC residents connecting to a sewer line extension project is $4,638.00 for single family residences and mobile homes. You should contact the MAWC Sewage Department office in the event that you (a) have a business or manufacturing facility; (b) maintain a multi-family use on your property; or (c) have a use other than your residence that you desire to tap into the sewer. Authority staff will be able to provide you with the applicable fee for such uses. In the event that there are no buildings on your property which can use the public sewer, then, obviously, you will not be responsible for connecting any uses on your property into the public sewer system, and no Tap-in Fee will be due.


      9. When is the Tap-in Fee payable?

      The property owner has the option of paying one lump sum at the time of the application for the sewer tap permit, or a monthly fee of $26.00/month will be attached to your sewer bill.  Also at that time you will receive information and instructional material as to the type of pipe and method of construction which is required. It is mandatory for the information to be followed. For example, all sewer line construction must be approved by the MAWC inspector, and if no inspection takes place, then the sewer line will have to be uncovered at a later date to determine that construction was in accordance with the rules and regulations of the MAWC Sewage Department.


      10. How will my property be tapped into the sewer?

      As part of the construction work, the contractor will install a lateral sewer.  After the contractor has completed its construction work, the end of the lateral sewer line to connect your residence will be at your property line, or within 150 feet of your residence, whichever is closer. Each property owner has the individual responsibility to extend the lateral from that point and connect his residence into the sewer line.


      11. How will I know when and how the work is to be accomplished?

      After completion of the sewer line project, property owners will receive a certified letter requiring connection to the main sewer line within 60 days of the notice.


      12. Will I be permitted to place downspouts and surface water drainage in the sewers?

      No. Both State law and local ordinance prohibit downspouts and other surface water infiltration from being connected. As a result, MAWC Sewage Department has an extremely aggressive regulatory program in this regard. There is no exception to this prohibition.


      13. What are my assessment responsibilities?

      In the past, properties located in Hempfield Township sanitary sewer projects were subjected to “Special Benefits” assessment.  This is no longer the case.


      14. What if I don't have the money available to complete my responsibilities?

      MAWC has been advised that a number of local banks (Charleroi Federal, National City, Commercial National, etc.) have a loan program available to cover the cost of tap-in fees and construction costs. You should contact the local office of these banks for further information concerning its program The MAWC can also provide information concerning the Pennvest Homeowner Septic Program with provides low interest financing.


      15. In summary, at what points in time will I have to pay for my responsibilities?

      A. Tap-in Fee – If the property owner opts for the lump sum payment, this payment will be in the spring/summer of 2018; otherwise, the monthly charge will be added to the sewer bill. 

      B. Sewer Lateral Construction Requirements - After receipt of 60 day notice to tap in which is currently estimated to be Spring/Summer 2018.

      C. Pay a monthly sewer bill – Billing will start the date of the lateral inspection or last day of the 60 day notice.


      16. Who are the Authority Representatives?

      A. Dan Schmitt - Project Engineer, (724) 539-8562 - His firm (Gibson-Thomas Engineering Co., Inc.) is responsible for the Authority’s portion of the construction work, and provides inspection work for the project.

      B. Michael Kenney – Operations Manager - Sewage, (724) 755-5816.  He will be overseeing the project once it commences. 

      C. Brandon Hassinger – Distribution Manager, (724) 834-8192.  He can answer questions concerning Authority and township rules and regulations for individual construction requirements.

      D. Scott Avolio – (724) 834-6040 – Mr. Avolio is the Solicitor for the Authority and is responsible for legal matters with the project.

      Status Update: 

      In progress